The vision of the University City Church of Christ is to equip God’s family to seek and save the lost, and to live holy lives by His Word.
September 13, 2020
“Connecting in Humility and Grace to be Able to Clearly See (Have Vision For) God’s Purpose”
Since we are saved people – there should be no question to our purpose in life and that is – to save people! Throughout the gospels, Jesus exemplifies this purpose for us that the best way to glorify God is to accomplish this purpose. Every personal encounter Jesus has with someone who is rejected by society, Jesus readily accepts and points toward a beautiful life in God and salvation found only in Him. I love the words of Jesus in Luke 19:9-10 after inviting himself over to Zacchaeus’ house and watching this man quickly change his life – Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
After Paul changed his name and his life to follow Jesus, there are five observations found from his letters. When we change our vision to match the vision of God we see:
- A Clear Vision of Our self (having humility instead of pride). 1 Corinthians 1:26-28 says “For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards,not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
- A Clear Vision of Who God Is. I Timothy 1:15-16 says “The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.”
- We live with a Compelling Gratitude. 2 Cor. 5:14-15 says“For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.”
- We have a Consistent and Constant Equipper. The flowing Spirit of God works for us! 2 Timothy 2:1-2 and 2:22-26 says “You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men,who will be able to teach others also…So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.”
- We live with a Clear Purpose. Titus 2:11-12 says “For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.”
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Sep 20 (Sun) Worship online or in person, 10:30am
Sep 21 (Mon) Ladies Prayer and Fitness, 6pm, FLC
Sep 21 (Mon) B-12 7pm in the Fellowship Hall.
Sep 23 (Wed) Adult and Teen Bible class, online or in person, 7pm.
DEAR UCCC FAMILY We would like to offer a heartfelt thank you for all the prayers, cards, phone calls and visits in the recent loss of Ernestine (Aunt Teeny). We also want to thank those of you who attended her service. Every single act of kindness made a big difference, and we are very blessed to be part of such a special church family. Ernestine’s immediate family is also grateful for your support. Thank you again! In Christian Love, Curtis and Cindy Davis and The Courtney Family
LADIES TUESDAY BIBLE CLASS RESUMES Although nothing has been NORMAL about the year 2020, plans are to set a “tentative” start date of Tuesday, September 29 at 10 am for our Ladies Bible Class. We will take our restart slow and use the known precautions (wearing masks and socially distancing ourselves) but please do what your health status and that of your loved ones dictate.
THE PULPIT MINISTER Search Committee has started the planning process for an Interview Weekend tentatively scheduled for the weekend of 10/11-12/2020. We ask for the prayers of the Church Family as we continue to navigate through this process and please make plans to attend if able/comfortable to do so. More details to follow in the coming weeks related to this great opportunity!
ENGLISH PARTNERS 1-on-1 tutoring has restarted in the Family Life Center gym, with social distancing. Face masks required. To reserve a tutor for an international friend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by the Friday before the Sunday class. Schedule: 9-10 am, English study; 10-10:15, Bible chat. No separate childcare provided. Please pray for this outreach effort! Thank you — Roger & Peggy Sedlacek.
ADULT BIBLE CLASS is being offered each Wednesday from 7-8pm both in person in the Fellowship Hall and live streaming. Reed Henson is leading an adult Bible class looking at “The Parables of Jesus.” Please join Reed either online or “in person” in the Fellowship Hall of the Worship Center.
PHONE LIVE STREAM Anyone without internet access can listen to the live worship service by phone. Just call 352-261-6660 at 10:30am on Sunday. There is no access code required. Right away it will ask you to press 1 if you want to receive a call each time UCCC is live. (If you don’t want this automatic call, then you’ll need to call this number each Sunday.)
YOUTH GROUP NEWS Our weekly Bible Study will be Wednesday at 7pm in the FLC teen classroom. We are studying strange stories of the Bible. We will also be streaming the class on Zoom. Please remember your Bible and your mask.
GATORS FOR CHRIST Welcome back students that are here in person this semester! We will be having our “Peak of the Week” College & Post Grad Bible class this Wednesday at 7:30pm in the gym with chairs & rows 6 feet apart/mask required with Alex & D.A. sharing in our new series “2020 Vision – restoring Christian Character in our Culture through the eyes of Nehemiah, Jesus and Paul!” Next Sunday (9/20), 6-7:30pm, we will be “Singing at the Stadium” with Glen Springs Church Group (will be easy to social distance there).
STAY CONNECTED to God and to each other. Even though we may not all be able to meet together, we can still continue to “…encourage one another and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:25b
FOOD PANTRY BAGS Available upon request.
1 Peter 5:2 “Be Shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care…”
“Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Ephesians 6:10-11
Scripture tells us more than once that our strength to withstand the enemy is God’s mighty power. Our choice is whether to wear the armor.
Private prayer with an Elder(s) is available down front following the closing song or by appointment.
Please remember our sick and shut-in with cards, visits or a phone call and keep them in your prayers.
Hospitals: (this past week)
Special Care Facilities:
Mary Banks, Annetta Beazlie, Onley Bowers, Mary Jo English, Katherine Guttery, Jodi McKim, June Wiles, Virginia Witt
Donald Allen, Marylou Behnke (Shoulder), Ann Bresnyan, Sandra Brooker, Jan Carr, Chuck Gatton, Yvonne Griffin, Douglas Guntor, Brooke Hinckley, Larry Hood (skin cancer), Joan Jaudon, Carol Massey, Carolyn Mikell (knee surgery), Chris Payne, Bennilene Pennisi, Bob Stancliff, Debbie Turk, Rick Worley, Ruth Wyatt, John Zylinski.
Prayers for the safety and strength of all those in harm’s way serving our country and community.